If Only

If you could only see me from the inside out...running in a field of flowers amid the morning dew...Supping white wine inside my thoughts...if only

Thursday, May 6, 2010

What If

I sat and watched a rather plump lady taking her dogs for a walk along the edge of the beach yesterday. Both dogs were eager to explore. One dog in particular, a wiener dog, wanted to dive right in the water...and stay. The other dog, a more classy lady, wanted nothing to do with getting near the water. What if she was afraid? The thought 'What if' came to my mind about our life as it has so many times in the past. Yes, our lives vary in many ways. We are a diverse people of race, creed, and color. We have fears, likes, and dislikes and may not wish to participate in some things; however, we are often dragged into the water, too, in a manner of speaking, by our upbringing, conscience, inhibitions, and judgement to name a few. Are we all in a 'what if' situation? What if you didn't want to wear a suit and tie to work? What if you didn't want to treat the neighbor next door with kindness?.. after all, maybe he has cursed at you more than once. There are many thoughts about life as a whole; I watched the lady pulling her reluctant pup into the water...by this time the pup was pulling back with all of her might...tongue hanging out from the scuffle along with the tightening up of the leash... Why was this necessary? Life is oft times crazy... some things aren't necessary...are they? What if we didn't do some of those things we really didn't want to do....Just WHAT IF!!

7 comments:

anilkurup59 said...

Thoughtfully written!
What if I dint care not to hurt the other? What if I dint care for other persons privacy? What if I dint respect the other persons individuality?
What if I dint care for the other persons rights?
Nothing would happen to me.
Because I'm bothered about myself and me alone.
That is the world we are in.

Sandy said...

It is sad indeed, anilkurup. Why have we become so self-centered? I am sure we all see things of this nature, only much worse.

Balachandran V said...

'What if'does not exist. What that always had mattered is 'What is'. But then, we have the power to do 'What if', if we can brave its consequences...

Sandy said...

Bala, I've had much thought on this subject and have come to the conclusion that we can walk before the 'what if' and turn it into a what is. We still have consequences in the end...

PP Robert said...

Hi Sandy. Thank you for inviting me to visit your blog. You are a woman of mystery and intrigue.. and great talent. 'What if' is a pertinent question. We face choices each day of our lives... to do this or to do that, or not to do anything!

Sandy said...

Hi Robert. I am so glad that you maneuvered your way into my separate cave. Mysterious is my nature, really. I do not think along the mundane things that most people think on; but I maintain a status quo. One of the things we must do. Yes, we face choices every day. I believe factually that we could change a 'what if' into a 'what is' by not acting on a thing..Of course some things can not be changed...That is factual...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.